The Dangers of Mould
Mould is a fungus. It can be present in both outdoor and indoor environments and is generally the result of wet or poorly ventilated areas, which are continuously damp. It needs water to grow, as well as food, oxygen and a warm temperature and produces microscopic particles.
Mould reproduces by means of tiny spores, which are invisible to the naked eye and float freely in the air. Inhaling or touching these spores can cause allergic reactions such as asthma attacks, skin irritation, itchy eyes, shortness of breath and poor lung function.
Black mould produces harmful mycotoxins that can spread all throughout a home or building. These spores are carried through the heating, air-conditioning, and ventilation systems. If inhaled or ingested, they can cause severe health problems in humans, especially infants.